The Come bet
The bets placed with the “pass line” strategy are affected only by number 7 and by the point when the latter is determined. A series of throws will be necessary to get one of those two combinations.
At the same time, another strategy can be used, which is called “come bet” or simply “Come”. This brings an additional advantage in order to win the bet, since each point can be a totally independent first throw.
Placing the Come bet
A single constraint is tied to using this strategy: the point must be made in order to place the Come bet.
In order to do so, the player pushes a chip towards the “Come” box. The bet will then depend on the next throw, in the same way as the Pass line bet does.
- Number 7 or 11 allow the players to win.
- Conversely, number 2, 3 or 12 generate a loss.
- In case a combination gives the point (4, 5, 6, 8, 9 or 10), the player wins when the dice make the point once more. However, they lose of a 7 appears.
Example of “Pass line” and “Come” bets
For instance, when a player places a “Pass line bet” and the dice determine number 8 as the point during the first throw.
- Let's suppose the shooter makes a second throw and the dice give a 7. The Pass line bet is lost in that case, but it is won if the 8 appears once again.
- Before this next throw, the player has also placed a bet on the “Come” box.
- In case the combination is a 2, the Pass line bet is not lost, contrary to the Come bet.
- The player then puts a second chip on the “Come” box. The next throw gives a 6.
- At this moment, the croupier moves the Come bet towards the 6 box. The player therefore has a bet on number 6 and another on number 8.
- The player wins when the sum of the dice is a 6 or an 8 and they lose (both Come bet and Pass line bet) if number 7 appears.
The length of a game of craps is not set and it is therefore possible for gamblers to play for 15 or 30 minutes, and even an hour.
The shooter changes when the “losing 7” appears. It is in this precise situation that all the players around the table lose both the Come bet and the Pass line bet.