Pontoon Blackjack is another variation of “classic Blackjack” .
It is an English version of this wonderful card game that remains, to this day, one of the most appreciated, especially in online casino games.
Pontoon blackjack is usually played with 8 decks of 52 cards each.
The fact that the number of decks is more important encourages profits for the players, who therefore have better chances of creating such and such hand.
Rules of Pontoon Blackjack
Game of Pontoon Blackjack
The aim of the game is the same as for classic blackjack, i.e. you need to beat the croupier by having a hand that does not exceed 21 points. In other words: knock the bank out!
At the beginning of the game, players receive 2 face up cards each and the croupier also receives 2 but face down, hence the difficulty for players who need to make a decision without knowing what the croupier's cards are.
When it comes to the value of the cards, it is similar to that of “classic” blackjack.
Distinctive features of Pontoon
- Splitting: in this version of the game, you are allowed to split any card in the game, including face cards worth 10 points.
Example: If you have a Queen and a King, it is possible. However, in case you split 2 Aces, you will only receive an extra card for a split hand.
- Insurance: it does not exist when playing Pontoon blackjack.
If there is a tie of any sort during the game, the bank always has the advantage.
What are the possible actions when playing Pontoon Blackjack?
Usual options for players when playing Pontoon are called a different name than in the classic version of blackjack:
- A Five Card Trick is a hand comprised of 5 cards which does not exceed 21 points, and it is stronger than any other hand except for the pontoon. Pontoon Blackjack slightly favours players thanks to those rules. A Five Card Trick penalizes the croupier, since it gives the players an extra chance to win.
- Stick is used for the Staying option and, similarly to classic blackjack, the croupier does not deal you any new card.
- Pontoon corresponds to a player having a hand with a card worth 10 points and an Ace.
- Twist is actually the action of drawing and you therefore receive a new card.
- Buy means double. When playing Pontoon Blackjack, the players can double whenever they want and not according to their hand, provided the latter contains between 2 and 4 cards. This action is possible only once per hand and the players can also draw (receive an additional card) after doubling if they wish.
It's your turn to break the bank!