Basics of blackjack
It is now time to present you the very trendy game played on casino tables all around the world: blackjack!
First of all, you need to know that it is a “black jack” that gave the English translation of “blackjack”.
Originally, if a player had the following combination: Jack of spades and Ace of spades, they won a bonus, which was called Blackjack.
Aim of the game
The ultimate goal of this popular game is to constitute a combination of cards, also called hand, which is getting as close to 21 points as possible.
Be careful though, you should not exceed this key value, or you will lose your initial bet.
Every player's opponent is the croupier themselves! Beat them by displaying a hand that is stronger than theirs or by making them create a hand exceeding 21 points.
Rules of the game
Value of the cards
Among the basics of blackjack, the value of the playing cards is primordial. Cards numbered from 2 to 10 are worth their face value.
The face cards, i.e. the Jacks, Queens and Kings, are worth 10 points. As for the Ace, it can be worth either 1 point or 11 points and you are the one who decides, according to your hand.
The blackjack table
In front of you, the blackjack table is divided in different boxes: a total of 7 boxes, also called spots. 3 players can play in the same box, but be warned that the player who is sitting is the only one who can take decisions.
Each player places their bet by putting their chips on the box right in front of them. Blackjack is played with 1 to 8 52-card decks, which are dealt by the croupier with what is called a shoe, allowing for a quicker deal.
Proceedings of the game
The game starts once the croupier deals two cards, face up, to each player and draws a single one for themselves, face up as well.
Special cases of blackjack
During the initial deal of the first two cards, it is possible that a player receives an Ace and a card worth 10 points, also called a “log”. You call this a Blackjack. In that case, the players wins 1.5 times their initial bet.
If the croupier also has a blackjack when drawing their second card, the bet is null.
Possible options in blackjack
The player sitting on the croupier's left has to choose between six possibilities:
- Staying natural: you get a blackjack when the first cards are dealt (for example, an Ace and a 10 or a face card).
- Staying: you are satisfied with your game as it is and do not need extra cards.
- You can say “Card” and receive as many cards as you wish, in order to get closest to 21 points. Be careful: if you exceed 21 points after drawing a card, you lose your bet.
- Insurance: the principle is to protect yourself from a blackjack from the croupier. If the croupier's face up card is an Ace, you can take an “insurance”: your bet will be reduced to half of your initial bet.
- Splitting: in case your two cards form a pair, you can “split” them in two distinct combinations and bet the same amount on each card.
- Doubling: you choose to double your bet and you receive an extra card.
You now master the basics of blackjack, so place your bets!